Segal Fellows in the News and Winning Awards
2016 Prize Announcements and Awards
- Brie McLemore (2016 Heller Segal Fellow) received an Outstanding Teaching Assistant (TA) Award for her role as a TA for a Black Feminist Theory course taught this semester at Brandeis.
- William Jones (2016 Brandeis Segal Fellow) received the Brandeis David Alexander 79' Memorial Award for Social Consciousness and Activism. Winners of this award are nominated and selected by the student body to acknowledge a leader in social consciousness and activism.
- Gabby Zilkha (2014 Brandeis Segal Fellow) was the recipient of the Brandeis Harry S. Levitan Prize presented to a student who displays kindness, sympathetic understanding, and high moral character.
- Witney Christie (2015 Brandeis Segal Fellow) received the Brandeis Herman and Bessie Blum Memorial Award which is presented to a junior who contributes to the well-being of her fellow students through kindness and consideration. As President of the Brandeis Black Student Organization, her club was awarded the Intercultural Center Club of the Year.
- Aja Antoine (2015 Brandeis Segal Fellow) received the Brandeis Bruce R. Mayper Memorial Award which is presented to a student for general activities promoting interracial amity or for individual work in the field of interracial studies. She also was awarded the Selma and Joseph Finstein Award from the Brandeis Department of Sociology for outstanding scholarship as a junior. She is was also chosen as one of the 10 undergraduates (out of 800 applicants!) for the Schomburg-Mellon Humanities Summer Institute through the Schomburg Center for Research on Black Culture and the Andrew Mellon Foundation. She is slated to present a conference paper this August at the 2016 Annual Meeting for the American Sociological Association in Seattle, WA. Her paper session is on Intersectionality and Social Movements: Redevelopment, Gentrification and Space.
- Estela Lozano (2015 Brandeis Segal Fellow) was the recipient of the Brandeis Jacob and Bella Thurman Award for Social Citizenship, presented to a student who has demonstrated the highest type of social citizenship. She was also the Latino and Latin American Studies mini-commencement speaker this May.
- Molly Pearlman (2015 Brandeis Segal Fellow) was the recipient of The Brandeis Dewey-Boyte Prize for the Scholarship and Practice of Democracy which honors students who have combined excellent scholarship with active civic engagement and effective democratic leadership. She was also the Social Justice and Social Policy mini-commencement speaker this May.
- Stephanie Johnson (2011 Brandeis Segal Fellow) received the Honorable Reginald Lindsay Public Service Award from the Massachusetts Black Lawyers Association. The award supports the development of law students who, like Judge Lindsay, have overcome adversity to use their outstanding academic ability and skills in public service. She was also selected for the Rappaport Fellows Program in Law and Public Policy and is working at the Boston Redevelopment Authority this summer.
- Megan Andrews (2013 City Year Fellow) is beginning her second year in the Bowling Green State University masters program for Speech-Language Pathology. During her first year, she received a national award from the Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders. The Frances J. Laven scholarship is awarded to a student demonstrating exceptional service to their community. She also received an award for Outstanding Graduate Student through her university.
- Jess Kent (2008 Brandeis Segal Fellow) received the Coro Fellowship in Public Affairs and is currently placed at the Office of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti.
Segal Fellows in the News
- Emmanuel Fairley, 2014 City Year Fellow and new Boston Public School teacher speaks out on Boston Public Schools' lack of diversity. See the story at Boston.com
- David Duhalde, 2012 Heller MPP Fellow and Deputy Director of Democratic Socialists of America, Inc. The DSA are using a 501(c)(4) to help out the surging presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. See the story at NationalJournal.com
- Jenn Recinos, 2013 Brandeis Fellow and Mass College of Art and Design Admissions Assistant. Redes sociales miden la "salud cívica" de jóvenes latinos.El panorama es alentador y el “gigante dormido ya está despertando”, aseguran expertos. See the story at LAOpinion.com
- Shawn Rubin, 2009 AmeriCorps Alums Fellow and Director of Blended Learning at the Highlander Institute helps to turn around a struggling urban school. See the story at PBS.org
- 2015 Brandeis/Heller Fellows Share their summer experiences. See the story at BrandeisHoot.com
- 2015 Brandeis/Heller Fellows carry a social justice torch and are determined to make positive societal change. See the story at Brandeis.edu